Wednesday, July 29, 2009

SECRET GARDEN...

This is Reader Appreciation Week at 365 Cards and the challenge on Monday, Day 149 is to try a technique - sponging. I have been wanting to make a card like this for quite some time and now I have! I based this on a card by Just Painting Around on Splitcoast. Her blog is awesome, if you haven't already, take a look at it.


The card is 6"x6". I'm finding the bigger work surface is easier to develop a scene such as this. I used SU! vanilla CS and quite a few ink pads were used in the making of this card.
1. barely banana
2. only orange
3. soft sky
4. river rock
5. mellow moss
6. true thyme
7. vintage photo (ranger)
8. moonlight white (brilliance)
I started with the barely banana and worked down to #8 in that order. Colors were overlapped with each other with the greens working up and around the card. I sponged with cosmetic wedges. The black stamping is embossed with fine detail EP. I wanted the white to show up more but wasn't quite sure how to do it (at what point to do it). I think I need to read some more of Zindorf's tutorials to get the steps right.
OK, need to stop now and put up all my inkpads! As always, have a great day!
SAM

17 comments:

Patti J said...

Oh my gosh Sally - this is BEAUTIFUL!!! Your sponging is fabulous, and I love the extra pop with that oval! I'm going to take a brayer class in February from M. Zindorf, and cannot wait - it is so exciting to know that I'm going to learn from 'the master'!!! Great job!

Sherry Eckblad said...

This is FABULOUS. Love the colors, the stamping, the sponging. Everything.

Juls said...

this is just stunning! I love the colours and the images you have used. Love how you have finished it off with the brads! you are so tlented girl!!!

Juls said...

p.s that was meant to say talented!! soz!

SAM said...

You know Juls, I can do spell check for everyone except myself! (Comes from my teaching background I guess!)

Barb said...

Absolutely STUNNING! Beautiful scene, and the colors are fantastic :)

Janice said...

This card is stunning, I love the coloring. Have yet to do my sponging card cause I've never sponged before. Reading your profile I can relate, I will forever be known as "the twins mom" and they are 28 yo and live out of state. Thanks for your sweet comment on my card.

Carolyn V said...

Wow! Just wow... it's flippin' awesome! What a gorgeous card. Whoever you're thinkin' of should feel very lucky to receive this work of art :)

Maricar said...

Your sponging is beautiful!

~amy~ said...

wow...this is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Linby said...

what a work of art - it is gorgeous.
Linbyx

Carolyn V said...

Congrats on your top 3 spot, SAM... well deserved - it's stunning!

Chrissie said...

Completely stunning!
I'm lost for words!
Chrissie

TesaB said...

OH MY GOODNESS! This card is totally AMAZING! Congrats to the top 3 spot - you soooo deserv that!!!

Piali said...

Wow!!! Stunning..Congrats on COTW...You really deserve it.

Smriti said...

That's a beautiful card!

Rose said...

congrats on making the top three!! stunning card :)